Clark County Washington
Home Find It! A-Z Index Departments & Programs Jobs Contact Us
Home > News Releases > Full Release

Turn in old, extra medicine April 26 to protect families, environment


Jim Mansfield, Environmental Services
Phone: (360) 397-2121 ext. 4016

Vancouver, WA – If you have medication you no longer need, dispose of it safely, for free and with no questions asked, during three collections on Saturday, April 26.

During last year’s collection, more than 500 people brought in more than 1,100 pounds of unwanted medication for disposal by the Clark County Sheriff’s Office. In addition, more than 400 pounds of paper, cardboard, glass and plastic containers were recycled.

This year, unwanted medications will be collected from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 26 at:
• Battle Ground Police Department, 507 S.W. First St.
• Clark College's Purple Parking Lot #1 (by the soccer field), 1900 Fort Vancouver Way.
• Kaiser Permanente's Cascade Park Medical Office, 12607 S.E. Mill Plain Blvd.

These events are sponsored by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, Clark County Sheriff's Office, Clark County Environmental Services, Battle Ground and Vancouver police departments, and Kaiser Permanente, in partnership with Clark College, PREVENT! The Substance Abuse Prevention Coalition of Clark County and PREVENT! The Substance Abuse Prevention Coalition of Battle Ground.

Concern about the abuse of prescription drugs, especially among teenagers, has placed greater emphasis on proper medication disposal. In addition, trace levels of medications have been found in ground and surface water. To protect water, unwanted medication should not be flushed down the toilet or dumped down the drain.

“The proper disposal of unwanted medication is critical to reducing substance abuse and safeguarding our environment,” said Don Benton, Environmental Services director.

All unwanted medications, controlled and non-controlled, will be accepted at the April 26 collections. But unwanted medication also can be disposed of at several sites across Clark County. Controlled substances, such as pain killers and tranquilizers, can be taken to participating law enforcement agencies. Non-controlled substances, such as over-the-counter medications, can be taken to participating pharmacies.

For more information on both types of disposal, visit “Medications” at
For more information about disposal or recycling options for other materials, call Environmental Services at (360) 397-2121 ext. 4352.

top of page

Clark County Home | Find It! | A-Z Index | News Releases | Jobs | Contact Us

For questions or comments regarding the Clark County Web site:

© 2008 Clark County Washington | Disclaimer and legal notice | Health Information Privacy Notice