The School Health and Safety Program reviews playground design plans for all K-12 public, private and parochial schools to ensure playground safety and to confirm proper installation prior to being open to the public. This includes new and relocated equipment as well as the addition of nature play features.
How to submit for review
Prior to submitting for a playground review, please email the School Health and Safety program staff to confirm submission requirements. If required, completely fill out the playground plan review application and supporting materials:
Note that incomplete packets may be returned.
Application materials can be submitted:
- Electronically: Application and supporting documents can be submitted electronically with prior approval. Email us for more information.
- In person: Please note that in person submissions are currently not being accepted due to the COVID-19 safety precautions in place. Check back here for updates.
- By mail: Application, supporting documents and payment can be submitted by mail at PO Box 9825 Vancouver, WA 98666.
Plan review process:
The length of time for a review is dependent on the completeness of the application packet and prompt responses from the applicant(s).
Environmental health fees
- Washington Administrative Code 246-366: PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOLS
- Health and Safety Guide for K-12 Schools in Washington
- Washington Department of Health: School Environmental Health
- Center for Disease Control - Playground Safety
- Consumer Product Safety Commission - Public Playground Safety Handbook
- National Program for Playground Safety