Excavation, fill and stockpile (grading) permits


Public Works reviews permits for excavation, fill and stockpile (grading) to ensure the work will not harm the environment or existing buildings and other structures.

Permits are required before any land movement, although there is a substantial list of exemptions that include:

  • Basements and footing for buildings, retaining walls or other structures authorized by valid building permits.
  • Exploratory excavation under the direction of soil engineers or engineering geologists.
  • Wells, tunnels or utility corridors.
  • Several types of farming activities, but not all farming activities.

For more information on when a permit is required, please review the handout and permit application.