Victim Assistance

The Victim Assistance Unit provides vital support and services to victims of crime in Clark County. Our advocates help crime victims work through the criminal justice system and ensure that they are treated in accordance with Washington State Constitution and the Crime Victims’ Bill of Rights.

National Day of Remembrance for Homicide Victims - September 25, 2023

Please click HERE to access slideshow.    

Printable Program   


Our victim assistance advocates will help you work through the criminal justice system and ensure that you are treated in accordance with Washington State Constitution and the Crime Victims’ Bill of Rights.

Services provided include:

  • Ongoing information regarding the status of a criminal case.
  • Explanation of and orientation to the Criminal Justice process.
  • Referral to community resources and agencies. If we cannot meet your specific needs, you will be referred to an appropriate social service agency that can help you in coping with the problems resulting from the crime.
  • Assistance with Washington State Crime Victims Compensation claims. If you suffered an injury that led to medical expense, or resulted in loss of wages, or temporary or permanent disability, you may be eligible for benefits under this State program. There is no money available for property losses.
  • Assistance with the return of property held in evidence by the police or the courts. Stolen property that is recovered by the Police or Sheriff Department is placed in an evidence locker in the Property Room. If you are experiencing a delay in recovering your personal property, please call 564.397.2261.
  • Determination of financial loss for restitution in felony cases. The court may order a defendant to pay restitution. Restitution is the money that the offender pays to reimburse you for medical bills, property damage, and other financial losses that were a result of the crime.

    Restitution is paid to the Clark County Clerk’s Office where a record is kept of the amount received. The Clerk’s Office sends the reimbursement to you or your insurance company when the payment is received from the defendant. If you change your address, you must notify the Clerk’s Office at 564.397.2295. (Be sure to include the defendant’s name and case number). Questions about how much and how regularly the defendant has paid are best answered by calling the Collections Unit at 564.397.6085.
  • Assistance with victim impact statement. Victims of crime have a right to describe to the court the impact the crime has had on their lives. The Victim Assistance Unit will provide a form, assistance in filling it out and delivery to the judges and deputy prosecutor handling the case.
  • Escort to attorney interviews and to court appearances.

Victim Notification System

VINE (Victim Information and Notification Everyday) is a victim notification system that allows crime victims to obtain timely and reliable information about criminal cases and the custody status of offenders 24 hours a day. VINE will only notify you if the offender is in custody.

To register visit the Victim Information and Notification System website.