This form is no longer required to schedule an inspection, but does contain important information: COVID-19 Building Inspection Request Form (PDF)
In an abundance of caution due to concerns regarding the COVID-19 virus, Building Safety has made the following changes to inspections:
- Beginning March 25, inspectors will require a 24-foot social distance separation and new homes/structures must be vacated during inspection.
- Inspectors are doing as many inspections as are appropriate by Sherlook video inspections; re-inspections, less complex inspections, etc.
- Inspectors will not enter occupied homes – these inspections must be done via Sherlook video inspection.
- All “push-pull” and repair mechanical and plumbing inspections must be done by the installer (not the homeowner) via Sherlook at the time of installation.
- All conversations with the inspector must be done over the phone – it can be on-site before they depart, but the inspectors are instructed to be in their vehicle or at the distances/conditions above.
- Beginning March 30, we will no longer be doing same-day concrete pour inspections.
- The inspectors have also been instructed to manage their own risks and make decisions accordingly – if they are not comfortable they will attempt to make it known, but can decide to not proceed or to suspend an inspection.
Change to mechanical and plumbing inspections, effective March 23
We are now requiring that ALL "push-pull" and permitted repair work for mechanical and plumbing installations be inspected upon completion by the installer on-site via our Sherlook remote video inspection service.
Due to the current health crisis, inspectors are not performing inspections in occupied homes. In normal times, scheduling these inspections is often left to the homeowner which is inefficient. Having the tech on-site allows them to make corrections immediately. We have had remote inspections since 2012 and are now moving to utilize it on a wider basis when it is viable. There will be some times when an inspection cannot be completed by video inspection and in that case a regular site inspection will need to be scheduled.
To request a Sherlook inspection one can call their inspector, call the Sherlook request line at 564.397.2069, or email Sherlook@clark.wa.gov. The web based application allows an inspector to initiate a Sherlook inspection by sending a text to the customer with a web link. When the customer opens the web link they are then connected to the inspector automatically (they are prompted to allow camera, audio, location). We are also able to use Facetime and Skype applications. If a contractor is at a location with WiFi, it is best if they can get a log-in or use a community WiFi for best connection.
Inspectors ensure that structures and plumbing and mechanical systems are built according to approved plans and are properly located on a parcel.
Inspections are generally conducted between 8:30 am and 4 pm Monday through Friday. We do not have morning or afternoon scheduling, nor do we do inspections by appointment. Inspection timing is based on geographic routing to provide the best overall service levels.
Note: An INS-100 Pre-Construction Erosion inspection must be scheduled and performed PRIOR to scheduling a Footing Steel (110) and/or Zoning Setback (130) inspection. This applies to these permit types: ADS, CEL, CMN, MFR, MBH, NHC and ACC for garage, shed, or shop. Upon re-inspection, failure to comply with the first correction notice will result in a fee of $148. Failure to comply with subsequent re-inspections will result in a $296 fee each.
You may request an inspection online or by phone. Inspection requests must be made by 10 pm the day before the requested inspection. Next day inspections are not guaranteed.
Phone - Our IVR system is available for scheduling inspections for both systems. For permit types and inspection codes, use our step-by-step guides: IVR Guide for CC LMS or IVR Guide for Tidemark. The IVR will route your inspection request to the correct system. To request an inspection by phone, call 360.397.2477 and provide the following:
- Phone number
- Permit/Case number
- Inspection code listed on your permit
- A short message for your inspector, if necessary
Online - Use the table below to determine which online inspection request system you should use.
|Request an inspection|
|IVR Guide||IVR Guide|
Alternative inspection services
Status and results
You may contact your inspector after 9 am for an approximate inspection time. We try to complete all requested inspections daily, but this is not always possible.
Visit our Permit Status page to see the status of your permit and inspection information.
Use this map to determine the inspector for your area.
To contact your inspector, call 564.397.4912.