File a housing discrimination complaint


There are several ways to file a federal complaint.

Online: You can file a complaint online on the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development website.

Phone: Call toll-free at 800.877.0246

Mail: Complete the Are you a Victim of Housing Discrimination? complaint form (below) and mail it to:
Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity
Department of Housing and Urban Development Room 5204,
451 Seventh Street SW
Washington, DC 20410-2000

Or write a letter to HUD and mail it to:
Seattle Regional Office of FHEO
US Dept of Housing and Urban Development
Seattle Federal Office Building
909 First Avenue, Room 205
Seattle, WA 98104-1000

Be sure to include the following information:

  • Your name and address
  • Name and address of the person your complaint is about
  • Address of the house or apartment you were trying to rent/ buy
  • Date when the incident occurred
  • A short description of what happened


To file a complaint, call 800.233.3247.

Document the discrimination:

  • Note the dates, times, words used, and actions or conduct you believe is discriminatory.
  • Keep copies of any relevant letters, answering machine messages, etc.
  • Note any witnesses to the action or situation.

In accordance with the Law Against Discrimination, formal complaints must be filed with the Washington State Human Rights Commission within 12 months.

For more information, contact Rebecca Royce, 564.397.7863.