Any person requested or signaled to stop by a law enforcement officer for a traffic violation has a duty to stop, identify himself/herself and provide their current address. Failure to comply with these duties is a misdemeanor.

A response to an infraction must be within fifteen (15) days from the date issued. Any response must be postmarked by midnight of the day it is due at the court. There are several options when an infraction is received:

  • Pay the infraction
  • Admit the violation and request that the penalty be reduced (mitigation)
  • Contest the infraction by requesting a court hearing
  • Request the ticket be deferred

Night court is available once per month and may be requested in writing or by phone, if you are mitigating or contesting your infraction.

In addition, the option to mitigate, contest and defer an infraction is available through the mail. Infractions contested by mail cannot be appealed.

Examples of infractions: Speeding violations, Expired Tags, Fail to Stop and No Liability Insurance.

Deferred Findings**

If you would like to keep the violation off of your driving record, you may ask the court for deferred findings. Submit your request in writing within the fifteen day response date.

The court will assess a non-refundable administrative fee in the amount of $150, which you will need to pay. The court will defer/delay entering a finding on the infraction and the violation will not be reported to the DOL. If you do not commit another violation within one year from the date of deferral and have paid the administrative fee, the infraction will be dismissed. Failure to comply with any requirements of deferred findings will result in the infraction being committed and reported to the DOL. A person may defer one moving and one non-moving violation once during a seven year period.

**Commercial Driver’s License Holders are not eligible for this program.
**Certain violations may not be deferred. Please see the deferred findings brochure for information.