Frequently Asked Questions


Call us at 564.397.2316. We can locate your address on our neighborhood map and give you the name, contact person and phone number of the association nearest you.

Go to our Neighborhood Association Directory page at You can type your address in the "Search by Address" window, click on the magnifying glass to the right of the address, and the screen will zoom in to your location on the map. A dot will appear that marks your address on the map. Click on the dot, and if you are within Clark County's jurisdiction, a pop-up window will appear with a link to your neighborhood's web page.  

Another option is to go to and type in your address. On the Property Information screen on the left is the heading Administrative Data. That box contains a category Neighborhood, and your neighborhood association name will be listed there. You can visit our Neighborhood Association Directory for contact information for your neighborhood.

If there is no active association near you, we can help you organize one.


The county can help a neighborhood association in a number of ways. We are an information resource. By visiting the "Resources and Information" page here, you will have access to a wide range of information. We will add your recorded boundaries to the neighborhood map, which will generate mailings from the Planning Division regarding new developments in your area. We also can assist by making copies of your neighborhood newsletters and meeting notices, providing and installing neighborhood signs at your boundaries, providing three mailings annually for your association and lining up speakers for your meetings.

For more information, please contact the Neighborhood Relations Coordinator at 564.397.2316 or


Yes. We can provide a list of all neighborhood associations and their boundaries. Maps are sold at the GIS Store on the second floor of the Public Service Center, 1300 Franklin St., Vancouver.


A Neighborhood Association (NA) can be formed by residents within defined boundaries. It can include both homeowners and renters, but is not a requirement of living within a certain development. Participation is voluntary. A neighborhood association is not regulatory and does not charge fees for membership or voting privileges.

A Home Owners Association (HOA) is set up by the developer of a subdivision to provide maintenance of common grounds, amenities and, sometimes, a storm water/drainage facility. Being a member of the HOA is not optional for homeowners. When people buy a home in a HOA, they understand they are subject to association fees and codes, covenants and restrictions (also referred to as CC&Rs). The CC&Rs are a civil contract that is attached to the deed of trust of their property.

Note: If you are in a HOA that is within the boundaries of a larger neighborhood association, you are also a member of the neighborhood association. Get involved in your neighborhood association meetings for news and updates of what is going on county-wide in your area.


Yes. We will copy your newsletters and fliers free of charge. To complete your copy job, we require at least ten (10) business days for turn-around time.

We also require the following disclaimer on each item: "Neighborhood associations are volunteer groups and not agents of Clark County government. Newsletter information and views are solely those of the neighborhood association and not of Clark County government. The Neighborhood Outreach Office supports these volunteers by printing and distributing their newsletters."

The county's administrative guidelines and Washington state RCW 42.17A.555 require us to review newsletters prior to printing to verify that your editor has excluded any:

  • advertisements,

  • editorials,

  • religious or political endorsements, and

  • statements or positions on ballot propositions or candidates for an election.

Please contact us at 564.397.2316 for additional newsletter instructions .


Our Resources and Information page includes information from a variety of sources. Examples include: planning division applications and approvals; Planning Commission and Board of County Councilors agendas; news releases; neighborhood highlights from our office; fliers from other county agencies; crime maps; and meeting notices.


Generally, the association leadership finds a meeting place. We recommend an easily accessible place in the neighborhood, such as a school, church, legion hall or fire station.


Yes. The county will make and install four (4) signs at the boundaries free of charge.


We discourage overlap because it causes confusion. We encourage communication between associations to come up with mutually agreeable boundaries.


Yes. Copies of requests for comments, State Environmental Policy Act statements (SEPAs) and hearing notices about a proposed development are mailed to the closest neighborhood group. This gives members the opportunity to participate in the approval process for new developments. Weekly development project reports and pre-application conference agendas are posted here.