Appealing Assessor's Office Decisions

Appealing your Value

Each year, the appraisers and administrative staff in the Assessor's Office set property values and make program related decisions that affect the value of property and the amount of property taxes businesses and individuals pay.

Note: Appeal Timeline

Real Property Values

The Assessor’s Office sends a Notice of Value (NOV) letter to property owners each year when there has been a change in the property’s assessed value.  Property owners who believe their property’s assessed value is substantially different than the market value shown on their NOV, may want to consider filing an appeal.  Prior to filing an appeal, owners are asked to contact the Assessor’s Office so an appraiser can verify the property’s characteristics in the Assessor’s Office database. If after working with an appraiser, a property owner still has concerns about their property’s assessed value, they should contact the Clark County Board of Equalization to learn how to file an appeal. 

Property owners can contact an appraiser at 564.397.2391 or work with a residential or commercial appraiser via email as specified on our Contact Us page.

Tax Exemption & Deferral Programs

Property owners who apply for and/or participate in one of the Washington State Department of Revenue programs administered by the Assessor's Office receive notice of their approval or denial into the program once all application materials required to make a decision have been received and evaluated.  Property owners who are not approved to participate in one of these programs should call the Assessor's Office to speak with a staff member at 564.397.2391 regarding the reasons their application could not be approved. If after speaking with a staff member, a property owner wishes to appeal the program decision, they should contact the County Board of Equalization to learn about how to file an appeal of the assessed value.

Appeal petition forms can be found on the Board of Equalization's website.

Additional information about the appeals process is available in Appealing Your Property Tax Valuation to the County Board of Equalization, published by the Washington Department of Revenue.