Default judgment

General information

If the other party is properly served and does not respond to the Complaint within the time allowed, the plaintiff can ask for a default judgment.

Civil Court Rule 55 for Superior Court and for District Court talk about getting a judgment by default.

The plaintiff can present the court with paperwork to award themselves what they asked for in the Complaint. They may need to present evidence to prove to the court that they are entitled to the damages they are requesting.

Self-help kit from the law library

self-help form kits

The law library sells a Default Judgment in Superior Court kit with forms and instructions to ask for a default judgment in Superior Court. It is intended for cases against one defendant who did not answer or appear, and less than one year has passed since service of the summons and complaint. Kits can be purchased at the library or online and mailed out.

Responding to default

If a default judgment was taken against you because you did not respond to the Complaint, and you had a valid reason for not responding to the lawsuit, you may be able to ask the court to "vacate" that judgment based on Civil Court Rule 60 for Superior Court and for District Court.

Washington LawHelp has information and forms to vacate a judgment/order for most civil cases as well as specifically for family law and eviction cases:

Free eBook about representing yourself in court

Represent Yourself in Court book cover

How to find the eBook about representing yourself in court

Pages 74-75 pertain to default judgments

Log in to Nolo