Power of Attorney for parents

General information

New legislation passed in 2020 gave parents the ability to temporarily give someone else their powers regarding care, custody, and/or property of the parent’s child. 

More information about Power of Attorney (POA) for a child is available from FindLaw.

Forms and instructions

Washington LawHelp has information and forms for parents who want to give another adult Power of Attorney to temporarily care for their minor children.

Legal Voice has a handbook for grandparents and other non-parent caregivers that has information and a sample form for a Power of Attorney for Parents.