Protection orders

General information

New legislation took effect to clarify and simplify civil protection laws and consolidate the six types of civil protection orders into Chapter 7.105 of the Revised Code of Washington (RCW).

The Clark County Clerk has a page with an overview about protection orders.

Clark County's Family Court Facilitator program provides assistance to individuals who choose to represent themselves in matters dealing with protection orders. The facilitator is available for in-person assistance for domestic violence protection orders on a walk-in basis at no cost.

Forms and instructions

There is now one consolidated form set for protection orders involving vulnerable adults, domestic violence, harassment, stalking, and sexual assault:

Extreme risk protection orders still use separate forms. This order requires a person who is a significant danger of causing personal injury to self or others in the near future to surrender weapons.

For all protection orders, you must file your paperwork with the Court Clerk before 11:00 am in order to have a judge review your paperwork that day. If you file later than 11:00 am a judge will review it on the next business day. According to the Court Clerk, petitions can be filed in person or electronically at

Free self-help kit from the law library

self-help form kits

A free Sealed Name Change for Domestic Violence Survivors self-help kit is available for download due to the generosity of the King County Law Library.

Additional resources

Joel's Law allows for a Petition for Initial Detention to be filed by a family member, guardian, conservator, or federally recognized Indian tribe. These petitions address situations where a person with a behavioral health disorder is a danger to themselves, others, property, or is gravely disabled. The Washington State Health Care Authority has a fact sheet with information about the process.