Commercial construction includes new buildings and work on, within, or added to existing buildings. Work on existing structures is often referred to as a tenant improvement. A permit technician can help you determine your project requirements and related fees.
Fees are established by county ordinance and are calculated automatically by computer during the application process. You will receive a fee estimate during your initial visit to our office and a final cost when you submit your applications.
Permit fees cover the cost of processing, plan review, and inspections to ensure code compliance and safety standards are met.
We recommend meeting with a plans examiner at the early stages of design to avoid code corrections later in the process. You may schedule an appointment by contacting Michelle Finley at 564.397.4088 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Adoption of building codes
The 2018 amended Washington Administrative Code (WAC) were adopted on February 1, 2021.
Forms and submittal requirements
See the commercial forms page for applications, checklists, handouts, information and worksheets.
Types of commercial projects
Visit the commercial permits page where we explain the different types of commercial permits.
See also Commercial Permit Categories handout.
Commercial - Property Assessed Clean Energy & Resiliency (C-PACER) Program
C-PACER is an alternative loan program that allows owners of eligible commercial properties to seek long-term financing from a private capital provider for qualified improvements related to energy and building resiliency.
Erosion control and stormwater
Most construction projects follow these basic steps:
- Contractor submits application, pays plan review and other fees
- Plans examiner reviews plans
- Permit technicians process application
- Permit technician issues permit
- Contractor may begin work
- Inspector visits site to inspect construction at important stages
- Permit technician issues Certificate of Occupancy
All files are PDF unless indicated otherwise.
- Commercial Permit Categories – Permit categories, checklists, and fees
- Commercial Building Permit Application – Application for new construction, alterations, additions and tenant improvements
- Code Summary Requirements and Worksheet for New Construction – Worksheet for showing project meets code and fire safety requirements
- Commercial Structural Design Information – Structures not conforming to the prescriptive criteria must meet these specifications
- Commercial Submittal Checklist – Checklist for items needed to submit your application for new construction, alterations, additions and tenant improvements
- Tenant Improvement Permit – Information and checklist for tenant improvements
- Plumbing Application – Application for plumbing work
- Mechanical Application – Application for heating and cooling work