Outdoor burning


Burn ban expands to include recreational fires

Due to the extreme fire danger, recreational fires will be prohibited throughout unincorporated Clark County effective immediately. 

This recreational fire restriction is in addition to the general outdoor burning prohibition that was implemented on July 5. According to interim Fire Marshal Donna Goddard this is a preventive measure to help avoid the risk of more or larger grass or brush fires as a result of escaped campfires. Looking at current conditions along with the extended forecast, the ban goes into effect immediately and will remain in effect until further notice. 

This ban joins with the ban imposed today, July 10, by the Washington State Department of Natural Resources. The state is prohibiting all outdoor burning, the use of charcoal briquettes in all state forests, parks and lands protected by DNR firefighters.  

Creating a defensible space around a home helps prevent wildfires from spreading to a residence, or vice versa. Goddard recommends the following measures in both rural and urban areas:

  • Remove fuel 
    • Within 3-5 feet of foundations, outbuildings, garages and sheds
    • Within 10 feet of a house
    • Under decks and porches
    • From gutters, eaves, porches and decks
  • Cut the lawn if it is brown. Dispose of debris and cuttings.
  • Prune trees so lowest branches are 6-10 feet above the ground.
  • Landscape with native and flame-resistant plants.

Self-contained camp stoves, which are not banned, are a safe and easy alternative for outdoor cooking.

Warm weather burn ban effective July 5

Starting Friday, July 5, all land clearing and residential burning in Clark County will be banned until further notice.

The interim Fire Marshal also is rescinding all burning permits issued prior to the ban. Permits can be reissued or extended when the ban is lifted. The burning restrictions do not apply to federally managed lands.

To have predictable and consistent burn bans, Clark County implements a policy to ban outdoor burning from July 15 through Sept. 30 each year. Designating this period was based on years of information about fuel conditions. However, under certain conditions, a ban can begin sooner or end later.

Fire Safety

Fire safety is everyone's responsibility! All outdoor fires must be constantly attended by an adult until the fire is extinguished. Provide adequate means for extinguishing a fire and keep it readily available. Don't burn if wind conditions make it hazardous to do so. Adhere to the fire safety requirements listed on your permit.