Unified Development Code, Title 40


The full text of Title 40 contains all regulations relating to property development in unincorporated Clark County. The code is one of the main tools used to implement the Clark County Comprehensive Plan. The plan and code are periodically amended to reflect changes in federal and state laws and changes in county policy and direction.

One of the most frequently asked questions we receive is "What is my zoning and what is allowed in it?" We have provided the following list of land use districts to assist you in your research.

Land Use Districts

  • 40.210 contains:
    • Agricultural-Wildlife District (AG-WL)
    • Forest and Agriculture Districts (FR-80, FR-40, AG-20)
    • Rural Districts (R, R-5, R-10, R-20)
    • Rural Center Commercial Districts (CR-1, CR-2)
    • Rural Center Residential Districts (RC-1, RC-2.5)
  • 40.220 contains:
    • Single-Family Residential Districts (R1-7.5, R1-10, R1-20)
    • Single-Family Residential Districts (R1-6, R1-5)
    • Residential Districts (R-12, R-18, R-22, R-30, R-43)
    • Office Residential (OR-15, OR-18, OR-22, OR-30, OR-43)
  • 40.230 contains:
    • Commercial Districts (NC,CC, GC)
    • Business Park District (BP)
    • Airport District (A)
    • University District (U)
    • Mixed Use District (MX)
  • 40.230.085 Employment Districts contains:
    • Light Industrial District (IL)
    • Business Park District (BP)
    • Railroad Industrial District (IR)
    • Heavy Industrial District (IH)
  • 40.240 Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area
  • 40.250 Overlay Districts contains:
    • Airport Environs Overlay Districts (AE-1, AE-2)
    • Surface Mining Overlay District
    • Historic Preservation
    • Resort Overlay
    • Highway 99 Overlay District
    • Mill Creek Overlay District
    • Railroad Overlay District (RR)
    • Rural Center Mixed Use Overlay District (RC-MX)
    • Equestrian Overlay
    • Urban Reserve Overlay (UR-10, UR-20)
    • Urban Holding Overlay (UH-10, UH-20)

Marijuana regulations
Marijuana has been legal for recreational use in Washington State since the passage of Initiative 502 in 2012. Marijuana production, processing, and retail facilities must obtain licenses from the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board (WSLCB) and obtain land use approval and building permits from Clark County. Learn more...