The purpose of the solid waste management activities in Clark County is to protect and preserve human health, environmental quality and natural resources through efficient, cost-effective programs and services.
The Solid Waste Management Plan (Plan) was prepared to provide a guide for solid waste activities in Clark County. The Plan addresses recent changes while also looking forward to the future needs of the County.
The contents of this plan have been prepared in accordance with requirement and intent of RCW 70A.205.045. This plan also incorporates the County’s Moderate Risk Management Plan as required by RCW 70A.300.350. The plan was developed through a team effort by Clark County, the cities and town, and the Solid Waste Advisory Commission (SWAC). The SWAC members represented the interests of their agencies, businesses and public interest groups. As members of the community they also represented the public’s interest.
In 2021, the 2015 Solid Waste Management Plan was amended to include a Contamination Reduction and Outreach Plan (Appendix P) per RCW 70A.205.045(10) that requires all counties with a population of more than 25,000 to include said plan in their solid waste management plan by July 1, 2021.
The plan has been updated and reviewed by the Department of Ecology.
Clark County Solid Waste Management Plan - approved September 2015
- Sustainable Materials Management
- Waste Prevention and Reduction
- Education and Promotion
- Waste Diversion
- Waste Collection
- Waste Transfer and Material Recovery
- Energy Recovery / Incineration
- Landfill Disposal
- Moderate Risk Waste
- Construction and Demolition Debris
- Organic Waste
- Special Waste
- Waste Monitoring and Performance Measurement
- Funding and Finance
- Waste to Wealth: Economic Development
- Implementation Schedule
- Appendix A - Acronyms and Definitions
- Appendix B - SEPA Checklist and Determination
- Appendix C - Washington Utilities and Transportation
- Appendix D - Solid Waste Interlocal Agreements (Agreements expire December 31, 2021)
- Appendix E - Solid Waste Management Plan Adopting Resolution
- Appendix F - Regulations Applicable to the Regional Solid Waste Management Plan
- Appendix G - Milestones for Solid Waste Management Plan
- Appendix H - Public Involvement and Outreach Plan
- Appendix I - 2012 Waste Stream Analysis for Clark County, Washington
- Appendix J - The Solid Waste Data Report
- Appendix K - Decision Tree for Assessing SWMP Applicability and Enforcement Status
- Appendix L - Disposal Sites in Clark County
- Appendix M - Siting Guidelines for Solid Waste Hauling Facilities
- Appendix N - Leichner Landfill History
- Appendix O - SWAC Participation
- Appendix P - Contamination Reduction and Outreach Plan