Forest Landowners Resources

Whats new?

If you are a forest landowner in Clark County and need assistance, this page will provide some helpful documents and links.

Forestry education and assistance for forest and woodland property owners in Washington. 

Download the PDF here. 
Andy Perleberg 509.630.4217

Invasive Species

An invasive species is a plant, animal, or other organism introduced to an area outside of its native range, usually by humans, which negatively impacts the economy, environment, and health. Invasive species affect all of us, whether we realize it or not.

By learning more about invasive species in Washington, you can help prevent the next invasion!

See it? Say something!  There are several different ways to report a sighting of an invasive species. Please save this information so you have it handy this summer when you are enjoying the outdoors.
Mobile app: WA Invasives for iOS and Android

Here are some recent invasive species in our area:
  • Spotted Lanternfly / Tree of Heaven - Spotted Lanternfly, an invasive pest, is particularly attracted to Tree-of-heaven.  Adults prefer to feed and lay eggs upon the Tree of Heaven (Ailanthus altissima), a Class C noxious weed in Washington State. Avoid planting Tree of Heaven on your property, and consider safely removing any that already might be present.  You can download a PDF Fact Sheet here
  • This summer, two graduates of the interagency Oregon Forest Pest Detector program submitted separate reports on the Oregon Invasives Online Hotline of a suspicious insect damaging native twinberry (Lonicera involucrata).  In both cases, the damage occurred on landscape plants in residential areas in Portland.  After samples were gathered, the insect was found to be Agrilus cyanescens, an exotic species from Europe that has been established in the NE U.S. since at least 1921.  This insect is in the same genus as the emerald ash borer.  Other known hosts of A. cyanescens include honeysuckles (Lonicera sp.). This discovery is the first report of this insect on the West Coast.

    Attached is a brief scientific note about the discovery.  Kudos to the graduates of the OFPD who made the report, Lise Gervais, employed by a private tree care company, and Bethany Lund, Tualatin SWCD.  Thank you to beetle taxonomist, Rick Westcott (Oregon Dept of Ag) for providing the identification.

Small Forest Landowner Needing Assistance?

  • The Regional Conservation Partnership Program (RCPP) is a USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) Farm Bill program.

    The program packages funding from multiple NRCS programs to provide landscape scale conservation benefits by partnering with other groups and agriculture and forestry producers.

    The Southwest Washington Small Forest Lands Conservation Partnership provides RCPP funding to achieve conservation of forests in southwest Washington in a way that engages small forest landowners voluntarily, increases financial and regulatory security for forest landowners and improves forest and watershed health to benefit people, fish and wildlife.

    Clark Conservation District Stewardship Forester provides free forest planning, forest stewardship advice and can assist with applications for cost-share for forest stewardship projects.

    Click on the link below to access a fact sheet for more information

    Southwest Washington Small Forest Lands Conservation Fact Sheet (PDF)


  • The Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), part of the U.S. Agriculture Department, has funds to help landowners develop forest management plans. To find out how to apply for funding, contact Lisa Schuchman at 360.324.0469 or


  • The American Forest Foundation has an online resource for forest landowners to help them manage their woodlands.

    Easy-to-use tools help guide forest landowners in mapping their property, setting goals, keeping a journal and connecting with foresters and other woodland owners. My Land Plan helps forest landowners get the most out of their woodlands.

    For more information, visit the American Forest Foundation's My Land Plan website.

Heritage Tree Program
The WSU Clark County Extension Master Gardener program has recently launched a Heritage Tree program to recognize special trees located in areas that do not have Heritage Tree programs (cities that do include Vancouver and Ridgefield).

Here is a link to more information and the nomination form: Heritage Trees Flyer Nomination. Submit a nomination form via email to or in person at the address below.

For more information, contact:

Erika Johnson
1919 NE 78th Street
Vancouver, WA 98665
Phone: 360-397-6060 x 5738


Drought Stress


Wildfire resilient forests
Forest lands can be managed so they are fire resilient without sacrificing wildlife habitat and reducing ecosystem function.

Learn more about what you can do by watching this 6 minute video featuring Ken Bevis, a stewardship fish and wildlife biologist with the Washington State Department of Natural Resources.


Forestry professionals

The Washington State University Forestry and Wildlife Extension provides a directory of forestry and silviculture professionals available for private landowners to hire.

The Washington State Consulting Forester and Silvicultural Contractor Directory includes contact information, services provided, bonding and insurance information, experience and counties served.

Local arborists

Clark County provides a list of arborists as a resource for county residents, but the county does not recommend or endorse any specific arborist.
Local arborists (PDF)

If you are a local arborist and would like to be added to this list, please contact:

Hunter Decker, County Forester
Clark County Public Works

Local loggers

The Washington Contract Loggers Association maintains a list of individuals and companies, including those in the association's St. Helens Chapter.

Current use programs

Current Use is the term commonly used to describe tax deferral programs designed by the Washington Legislature to support and protect land designated for farming and other resource use.

Thinking about a career in forestry?

Fire Science Online has information about careers, internships and volunteer opportunities:

Helpful documents

Scribner volume table (PDF)
This chart can help forest landowners estimate how many board feet of lumber can be milled from a log, based on the log's length in feet and diameter in inches. A board foot, often abbreviated as "BDFT," is the equivalent of a square piece of lumber, measuring 1 foot on each side, that is 1 inch thick.