Clark County's Clean Water Division received grant funding during 2017-2019 to plant trees in rights of way in partnership with Friends of Trees and local neighborhoods.
This pilot project worked to improve water quality and our community in specific urban neighborhoods in the Lake River, Salmon and Cougar Creek watersheds, including Felida, North Salmon Creek, West Hazel Dell, Sherwood and Northeast Hazel Dell neighborhoods (PDF).
Six neighborhood tree planting events took place over three years planting 500+ trees and increasing our urban tree canopy by more than a dozen acres. More than 600 volunteers supported the events, as crew leaders, neighborhood coordinators, planters, truck drivers and food preparers/servers.
|How trees help stormwater|
You can help
This project was coordinated with our regional partner organization Friends of Trees. The group has more than 30 years of experience planting trees in neighborhoods throughout Vancouver, Portland, Salem and Eugene. Friends of Trees makes it easy for neighbors to green their neighborhoods.
Here are ways that you can be involved with Friends of Trees:
- Become a neighborhood crew leader - You can sign up to lead a tree planting crew for your neighborhood. Training is free and makes you eligible to lead crews for this project, as well as other Vancouver-area plantings. Sign up here.
- Become a neighbor coordinator - You can sign up to help Friends of Trees staff coordinate events in your neighborhood. Each planting event needs help getting the word out, coordinating with local businesses for food/beverage donations, supporting volunteers at events and more. Learn more here.
- Drive a pick up truck - Planting events require lots of logistics, including truck driving to pick up and drop off trees at planting sites. Learn more here.
- Volunteer at a planting event - Neighbors help neighbors plant trees during these fun events. All ages are welcome to help, including groups. Visit Friends of Trees' volunteer website for more information. Planting events are listed on the group's event calendar.
Events and activities
Tree planting success! A total of 517 trees were planted at 6 tree planting events. More than 600 volunteers supported the events, as crew leaders, neighborhood coordinators, planters, truck drivers and food preparers/servers.
- Planting Event #1 on Apr. 8, 2017 - 85 trees planted in West Hazel Dell, North Salmon Creek and Felida neighborhoods
- Planting Event #2 on Dec. 9, 2017 - 37 trees planted in Hazel Dell Greenway in the West Hazel Dell neighborhood
- Planting Event #3 on Apr. 7, 2018 - 103 trees planted in West Hazel Dell, North Salmon Creek and Felida neighborhoods
- Planting Event #4 on Dec. 8, 2018 - 94 trees planted in Sherwood and Northeast Hazel Dell neighborhoods
- Planting Event #5 on Mar. 9, 2019 - 117 trees planted in West Hazel Dell, North Salmon Creek and Felida neighborhoods
- Planting Event #6 on Dec. 14, 2019 - 81 trees planted in West Hazel Dell, Felida, Sherwood and Northeast Hazel Dell neighborhoods
This three-year pilot project was made possible with a grant from the Lower Columbia Fish Recovery Board, through their management of the Clark County Clean Water Restoration Fund.
For more information on this or other projects to protect local waterways, contact Clark County's Clean Water Division at email@example.com or 564.397.4345.
City of Vancouver plantings
Do you live in the city and want to plant trees? Visit Friends of Trees' webpage to learn more about a variety of tree plantings, including neighborhood plantings, Witness trees (planting in honor of someone) and more.